Ready. Set. Go.
It’s that time of year, once more: when we look forward to the forthcoming 365 days and determine how we are going to spend our time, energy, and money. Some things are a given; we definitely need to work, we will be buying food, and we’ve got to get around to making the gym a permanent staple of our daily routine. Other things, however, are more nebulous. Is 2022 the year that we finally take a stab at those home repair projects that have been looming overhead?
At Burbach Exteriors, we might be biased, but we think that the start of the new year is the perfect time to commit to a home renovation adventure. Right now, everything is downfield from us and we can choose now how we are going to budget our resources.
We’ve written about it before, but a little review never hurts; how can you know that it’s time to say “yes” to your home improvement project?
- Review your budget: If you’re in the black and you can keep it that way with diligent spending, then now might be the time.
- How’s the market?: If you’re hoping to renovate the house’s exterior and then get it sold, then the current state of the market will help you decide (hint: so far, things are looking good!)
- Material availability: Infamously, 2020 and 2021 were hard times for those trying to get their hands on lumber and other materials. While things look to be cooling down, it’s best to take a look at where things are at right now.
- Is your family ready?: Nothing matters more than family. If they’re behind you, then let the games begin!
If you’re like us and want this year to be the year, then here are a few tips to help you get started on your planning.
Step 1: Make a List
Whether you’re updating the siding on your Utah home or simply redoing the rain gutters, you will want to make a list of everything you want to accomplish from the beginning of the project to the end. This should include:
- Making inquiries about materials
- Calling for a professional quote
- Reserving a dumpster for trash
- Determining what you can do yourself
Remember, if at any point you start to feel overwhelmed, think of the Burbach team as your “get out of jail free card.” We can help alleviate your frustration by breaking down your project for you in digestible chunks.
Step 2: Get Your Money in Order
Once you know exactly what you mean to accomplish with this home renovation project, you can start pricing everything and securing your budget. There are a lot of factors to consider to make sure your budget is comprehensive:
- Knowing how much of the repairs are DIY as well as being confident in your knowledge and skills.
- Having a professional point your attention to potential money pits.
- Knowing how much materials are going to cost and how much is needed.
Money has a funny way of slipping through one’s fingers if you’re not careful. By planning ahead diligently and working with the experts, you can minimize the number of unplanned expenses you’ll encounter before the project is finished.
Step 3: Set a Timeline
It’s a universal truth that people are generally bad at estimating how long something is going to take them to finish. The remedy for this, however, is experience. No matter what your exterior repairs happen to be, our team has performed them all, thousands of times. We will be able to help you come up with an accurate time estimate so you don’t embark on this journey without an end in sight.